Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Sirloin Panini

I haunt the markdown sections of the grocery store and take advantage of good cuts of meat when they are marked down. Ribs, steaks, pork loin, brisket, all sorts of meats are frequently available after a heavily promoted sale. I pick up packages of sirloin steak when I come across them.

If I'm not going to use it within a day or two I'll cut the steak in very thin slices and pack separate handfuls in Press n Seal storage wrap and freeze it. Then when I'm in the mood for steak I'll take a portion out and defrost it in the microwave for a few minutes and then make my sandwich or salad.

Here's how I made this one.

  • Sirloin steak in a marinade of balsamic vinegar and herb blend
  • Sliced red peppers and purple onion
  • Provolone cheese
  • Artisan Bread from Target



First cut the bread in half and toast it in a puddle of olive oil on a hot iron griddle.

Next saute the peppers and onions on the same griddle until softened. Move them to the side and put the steak on the griddle with the marinade. Place the toasted bread face down on the pile of meat and vegetables to steam and keep warm.


After a few minutes, it won't take long, build the sandwich by covering each slice of bread with provolone cheese. Add a generous pile of meat and vegetables and place the sandwich back on the griddle. Use a bacon press or an iron skillet to press the sandwich to flatten. Turn after a few minutes to brown on both sides.
Cut the sandwich into quarters while still on the grill and serve with balsamic vinegar for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment