Pages

Monday, June 2, 2008

Spicy Red Snapper with Mango Salsa

Larapin.

That's the only way to describe this recipe. And it's very easy!
With a substantial green salad it's easily a full meal.

The original recipe called for Red Snapper, but I've made it with Orange Roughy, Flounder, and most recently with Talapia.

It's as easy as 1-2-3.
  1. Start Rice
  2. Make Mango Salsa
  3. Bake Fish
Here are the details.

1. Start Rice

I generally use brown rice, which takes a bit longer to prepare. I use a rice steamer and follow the directions. I start the rice first, and the meal is usually ready to serve when the rice the steamer shuts off about 45 minutes later.

2. Make Mango Salsa

Combine in medium mixing bowl:
  • 1 mango peeled, seeded and chopped
  • 1 medium red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/4 C thinly sliced green onion
  • Variation: (in this version) 2 kiwi, peeled and diced
  • Optional: 1 Scotch bonnet, or hot green chili pepper, seeded and diced very fine. I usually use a Serrano Pepper or a couple of Jalapenos, but I've also thrown in a Habanero, just for kicks.
Add:
  • 2 T lime juice
  • 1 T vinegar
  • 1/2 t lime zest
  • 1/4 t salt
  • 1/4 t pepper
Stir together.
Just prior to serving stir in 2-3 T chopped cilantro.

3. Bake Fish
1 lb. Red Snapper, fresh or frozen (defrosted, of course)
Rinse, pat dry with paper towels.
Brush with 1 T lime juice, mixed with 1 T water.
Rub with Spicy Fish Seasoning*:
  • 1 t paprika
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t ginger
  • 1/4 t allspice
  • 1/4 t pepper
In shallow baking dish, bake uncovered in 450° oven until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Allow 4-6 minutes for each 1/2" of thickness.

To serve brush with pan juices and serve with Mango Salsa
Garnish with lime slices and cilantro.

To pull it all together, start with a pile of rice, add fish to the side and top it all with the mango salsa. Garnish with lime slices and cilantro.
Oh. My. Gosh.
Larapin.

IF there are leftovers I put it all together in a plastic container. Usually the fish is gone, but there might be rice and mango salsa left over. I'll eat the leftovers as a light snack within a day or so.

*After I realized how much I like this I made this Spicy Fish Rub in bulk and I keep it in a shaker bottle with my herbs and spices. It's always handy to sprinkle on fish to use in this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment