Pages

Saturday, May 31, 2008

A Simple Turkey Sandwich

As you can see, I put lots of color in my sandwiches the same as with my salads. Here's what's in this one from the bottom:
  • 100% whole wheat bread
  • Mayo
  • Deli sliced turkey
  • Tomato slices
  • Bread and butter pickles
  • Avocado
  • Spinach
  • Provolone Cheese

I read somewhere that the key to not overeating at mealtime is to be sure to eat something that "satiates." Some taste that is "just what you wanted." For me in a Simple Sandwich it's usually pickles.

If I make a plain sandwich with meat and cheese, then I'll want to eat a bag of chips to go with it. But if I add all the trimmings: specifically tomatoes and pickles, then I usually won't crave chips too.

I start with a thin layer of meat so I can add a healthy pile of veggies. When I make a Simple Sandwich for my son, I'll double the amount of turkey, and add a layer of deli ham before I start the vegetables. I would use 2 slices of cheese, one on top and one on the bottom. Optional additions to this sandwich could be, in no particular order:
  • Crispy Bacon
  • Ham
  • Spicy French or Catalina Salad Dressing
  • Romaine or other lettuce
  • Pimiento stuffed olives
  • Thin slices of red onion
  • Toasted bread
Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment